visa empire logo


Have an occupation on the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list schedule 2 Visit the Occupation lists


Meet Department of Home Affairs requirements

You must meet the Department of Home Affairs’ (Home Affairs) requirements for your intended visa subclass, being:

the Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190); or

the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491).

  Live in Australia

Only applicants currently residing in Australia are eligible for WA State nomination. You will need to provide one of the following documents or another relevant document, clearly showing your current Australian address:

    • a current lease agreement; or
    • a current utility bill.

  If you live in Australia but are subject to a section 48 bar, you are not eligible for State nomination from WA.

Meet English requirements

You must meet the English language requirements shown below in all four components in a single Department of Home Affairs approved English test.

If you have a passport from the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America, or Ireland, you don’t need to sit an English test to be eligible for Western Australian State nomination.


You must have a contract of employment in your nominated (or closely related) occupation for full time employment in WA, for at least 12 months from the date of your application for State nomination. Full time employment is defined as an average of at least 35 hours work per week. You are able to provide two contracts of employment to make up the 35 hours.

The contract must include:

  • full names of both the employer and the employee.
  • contract start and end date (if permanent, only start date is required). The start date must be within three months of your application.
  • job title and related ANZSCO code.
  • job description.
  • terms and conditions of employment (such as salary, hours of work, leave entitlements and superannuation) which must be no less favourable than those that would apply to an Australian citizen or permanent resident doing equivalent work. If your contract does not describe your terms and conditions of employment, you can provide the Enterprise Agreement or industrial Award for your occupation.
  • location of employment.
  • a statement that work specified in the employment contract must be performed by the employee and not contracted out to a third party.
  • signed and dated by the employer and the employee; and
  • must be drafted by the employer and not by the employee.
  • You will need to provide a copy of your contract as part of the State nomination application, and it must be provided as one document.

They will also assess whether:

  • an appropriate salary will be paid for the specified occupation, based on market salary rates;
  • the business employing you is genuine and operating in the location specified; and
  • as the employee, you will bear no financial risk and be provided with the relevant tools and equipment to successfully undertake the tasks required.
  • Employment contracts submitted by an independent contractor or for self-employment do not meet the above requirements and are not suitable to apply for WA State nomination.

Employment contracts submitted by a sole trader will be considered in the following circumstances only:

  • if the sole trader is not the stated applicant of the State nomination application; and
  • if the employment contract meets all the above requirements.

Demonstrate sufficient settlement funds:

If you live outside of WA, you must have sufficient funds to cover your settlement costs and living costs for at least three months.

The minimum amount of funds required is:

    • for a single person – $20,000 (AUD);
    • for a couple – $30,000 (AUD); and
    • for every additional dependant – $5,000 (AUD).
Scroll to Top
Open chat
Scan the code
Hello 👋
Can we help you?